This course will introduce the student to the unique needs of adults and older adults with an emphasis on common medical or surgical conditions. The student will be presented with normal aging as well as the common pathophysiology of common diseases affecting the older adult.
At the completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Discuss the normal aging process
- Identify common diseases affecting the older adult
- Describe the common diagnostic tests and expected medical management of these disorders.
- Apply the nursing process to the safe care of older adults.
- Describe risk factors contributing to disease in the older adult.